Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cakes that won't make your bundt look big!

Couldn't resist the cooking joke in the title :) Did you know that Bundt is actually a brand and not just a shape of cake? Its like how people always call facial tissue kleenex...but I don't know what you would call a bundt cake if you did call it that...wikipedia refers to it as "a distinctively ring-shaped pan" but nobody is going to go around saying "Wow! This distinctively ring-shaped pan is really delicious!" Plus, the name bundt is just funny.

So Target has a of this really cute Easter colored bakeware right now and since I can resist nothing in turquoise I bought a bundt pan and a new cookie sheet. I have always loved the way bundt cakes look, so pretty without needing to be entirely frosted. All you need is a sprinkling of powdered sugar or a glaze of icing and you are good to go! As Mark was out of the house this weekend being a camp counselor at camp for sick kiddos, I baked two bundt cakes! They both came out beautifully out of the pan thanks to a good coating of spray olive oil. I have a feeling I am going to be using this pan all the time! I found that thankfully you don't have to follow an actual bundt recipe, it can be any bread of muffin recipe that you want to have fun with and put into the bunt pan! Both of the recipes I loosely followed are pretty darn healthy...bundts guaranteed to not go straight to your butt! That is as long as you don't eat the entire cake, or eat the entire cake with the help of only on other person and a small dog. Mark and I really need to make better friends with out neighbors so I'm not just baking for the two of us!

Both of the cakes I made involved banana due to a bunch of them sitting ripe on the counter but now I'm dying to try other types of bundt: pumpkin, lemon poppy seed, apple and of course peanut putter!!!!

The first cake I made was banana cocoa with a peanut butter glaze:
 Of course I forgot to get a picture until after I cut a big hunk out of it.

The cake recipe comes from here. The icing recipe is from Bethenny Frankel, bless that woman and her yummy healthy cooking ways! Next time I'll have to try the cake recipe that goes with this frosting, it calls for nothing but warm water as liquid in the cake yet people claim it comes out delicious and really moist?! How can this be? I must investigate soon. Anyway, here is the frosting recipe with her chocolate cake recipe, which I'm sure would be great in a bundt pan.

The next cake was banana blueberry:

I followed this recipe but next time would bake at 325 for a longer time instead of 350 because while the outside got browned the insides were still a bit battery, plus I always like to bake things with agave nectar in them at a lower temp because it burns at a lower temp than sugar. Despite this it was still really good and the nutritionals are pretty fab. I would make this again and possibly do some sort of lemon glaze to fancy it up.

Either of these recipes would work great for a brunch to serve in lieu of muffins or a sweet bread, bundts just look so darn pretty on a cake stand. I don't think either of them are probably sweet enough to serve for dessert at a party but they work great for breakfast or dessert around this house. Especially the banana cocoa one warmed up and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

1 comment:

  1. I loled at this blog title. You are inspiring me to bake!

    ReplyDelete